Naming the Pipeline- Bear Print Pipeline

Originally known as Columbia’s 1818/1862 pipeline in north central Pennsylvania, Bear Print Pipeline was renamed as part of its conversion to a natural gas gathering business in late 2010. During a site tour of the system’s soon to be constructed compression station, several of the company’s new investors noticed a single large indention along the pipeline’s dense forest right-of-way. Stamped clearly in the soft mud was the print of a local resident-Pennsylvania’s Black Bear. As development continued, the 1818/1862 system became commonly referred to as “Bear Print Pipeline.”

The pipeline’s new name was re-affirmed in mid July when pipeline field personnel noticed that certain pipeline markers were being routinely up-rooted along the station’s access road. Temporary game cameras installed along the access road captured footage of our “neighbors” in the act.